Monday 20 May 2013

My Shepherd

I recently read this story:

On one of her walks, a woman visiting Switzerland happened upon a sheepfold. Venturing in, she saw the shepherd lovingly tending a single sheep, which was lying on a pile of straw apart from the rest of the flock.
"It's leg is broken," the shepherd offered. Upon inquiring how such an unfortunate thing could happen, the shepherd sadly shook his head and explained how he had intentionally broken it. "Of all the the sheep in my flock, this one was the most wayward. It would not obey my voice and would not follow where I was leading the flock. On more than one occasion, it wander to the edge of a perilous cliff. And not only was it disobedient—it was also leading my other sheep astray. I had no choice but to break its leg."
Shocked, the woman exclaimed, "But what will happen when it walks again? It won't follow you after what you've done to it!"
"Not so," replied the wise shepherd. "After I broke its leg, I took the lamb some food, and it tried to bite me. But after letting it lie alone hungry for a couple days, I went back. It not only eagerly took the food, but licked my hand and showed every sign of submission and affection."
"And now," he continued, "when this sheep is well, it will be the model sheep of my entire flock. No sheep will hear my voice so quickly or follow so closely. It will be an example of devotion and obedience. Breaking its leg was an act of kindness. Through its sufferings, it will have learned to follow."

I really related to this story because I have been though a situation which broke me in every way - physically, mentally and emotionally. I needed God to heal me and put me back together. I had tried on my own, only to end up in a worse state. Until I turned my mess over to Him and learned to follow the Holy Spirit's leading did I find real healing and purpose. He turned my mess into my message.

My desire now is to follow Him as closely as I can. I, like the sheep, know His goodness and greatness in such a way that I want nothing else! I don't believe that God causes bad things to happen to us. But I do know that He uses the situations, good and bad, in our lives to draw us closer to Him.

He is a wise and gentle Shepherd who handles me with the utmost care and goodness. The ways in which He has provided for me astound me and cause me sit here in wonder of His greatness!

So keep a firm grip on the faith. The suffering won't last forever. It won't be long before this generous God who has great plans for us in Christ—eternal and glorious plans they are!—will have you put together and on your feet for good. He gets the last word; yes, He does.
1 Peter 5:10-11 MSG

This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It's adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike "What's next, Papa?" God's Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who He is, and we know who we are: Father and children. And we know we are going to get what's coming to us—an unbelievable inheritance! We go through exactly what Christ goes through. If we go through the hard times with Him, then we're certainly going to go through the good times with Him! That's why I don't think there's any comparison between the present hard times and the coming good times. 
Romans 8:15-18 MSG

God, my Shepherd! I don't need a thing. You have bedded me down in lush meadows, You find me quiet pools to drink from. True to Your word, You let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction. Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I'm not afraid when You walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure. You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies. You revive my drooping head; my cup brims with blessing. Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life. I'm back home in the house of God for the rest of my life.
Psalm 23 MSG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or comment? I would love to hear it!